David Ogilvy’s No-Nonsense Thoughts on Writing
As a career writer, I really enjoyed reading a list of ten hints to writing well from advertising legend David Ogilvy. Here are my favourite hints from this list taken from the book The Unpublished David Ogilvy: A Selection of His Writings from the Files of His Partners:
- Write the way you talk. Naturally.
- Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs.
- Never use jargon words they are hallmarks of a pretentious ass.
- Never send a letter or a memo on the day you write it. Read it aloud the next morning—and then edit it.
- If you want ACTION, don’t write. Go and tell the guy what you want.